CAMS radiation service
|- Further questions? Contact directly the CAMS User Support -||Last update: Sept. 2018|
This service provides time series of Global, Direct, and Diffuse Irradiations on horizontal surface, and Direct Irradiation on normal plane (DNI) for the actual weather conditions as well as for clear-sky conditions. Current version is 3.2.
By construction, CAMS Radiation Service performs the calculation of the radiation on-the-fly at the location requested by users (=No proper database stored). This has a wonderful advantage to make any improvement immediately available since the very beginning of the period (Feb. 2004) without the need of any recomputation.
The CAMS Radiation Service is currently limited to 40 requests per day. As the time of on-the-fly computations is quite high, this limitation prevents our servers from overload, which would endanger the SoDa Service as a whole. Please be aware that any abuse will automatically result in the deactivation of your SoDa account credentials.
The research leading to these results has received funding from the European Union's Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) under grant agreement no. 218793 (MACC project, 2009-2011), no. 283576 (MACC-II project, 2011-2014) and from no. 633080 (MACC-III project, 2014-2015). The service is part of the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS). Licence terms
Main publications for CAMS radiation service are Qu et al. 2016 and Schroedter-Homscheidt et al. 2016. More publications on CAMS radiation service (keywords: "Heliosat-4" or "CAMS radiation service").
Free volumes of data
|=> Contact us to download a volume 15 minute CAMS radiation and CAMS McClear over Europe or Africa|
Facing issues with decimal separator in Excel? Please read this FAQ
Output column content:
- Observation period: beginning/end of the time period with the format "yyyy-mm-ddTHH:MM:SS.S/yyyy-mm-ddTHH:MM:SS.S"
- TOA: Irradiation on horizontal plane at the top of atmosphere (Wh/m2) computed from Solar Geometry 2
- Clear sky GHI: Clear sky global irradiation on horizontal plane at ground level (Wh/m2)
- Clear sky BHI: Clear sky beam irradiation on horizontal plane at ground level (Wh/m2)
- Clear sky DHI: Clear sky diffuse irradiation on horizontal plane at ground level (Wh/m2)
- Clear sky BNI: Clear sky beam irradiation on mobile plane following the sun at normal incidence (Wh/m2)
- GHI: Global irradiation on horizontal plane at ground level (Wh/m2)
- BHI: Beam irradiation on horizontal plane at ground level (Wh/m2)
- DHI: Diffuse irradiation on horizontal plane at ground level (Wh/m2)
- BNI: Beam irradiation on mobile plane following the sun at normal incidence (Wh/m2)
- Reliability: Proportion of reliable data in the summarization (0-1)
In verbose mode (1 minute summarization only), additional columns are:
- sza. Solar zenith angle for the middle of the summarization (deg)
- summer/winter split. 1.0 means summer, 0.0 means winter
- tco3. Total column content of ozone (Dobson unit)
- tcwv. Total column content of water vapour (kg/m2)
- AOD BC. Partial aerosol optical depth at 550 nm for black carbon
- AOD DU. Partial aerosol optical depth at 550 nm for dust
- AOD SS. Partial aerosol optical depth at 550 nm for sea salt
- AOD OR. Partial aerosol optical depth at 550 nm for organic matter
- AOD SU. Partial aerosol optical depth at 550 nm for sulphate
- AOD 550. Aerosol optical depth at 550 nm
- AOD 1240. Aerosol optical depth at 1240 nm
- alpha. Angstroem coefficient for aerosol
- Aerosol type. Type of aerosol: -1=no value 5=urban 7=continental clean 8=continental polluted 9=continental average 10=maritime clean 11= maritime polluted 12=maritime tropical 13=antarctic 14=desert
- fiso. MODIS-like BRDF parameter fiso
- fvol. MODIS-like BRDF parameter fvol
- fgeo. MODIS-like BRDF parameter
- albedo. Ground albedo
- Cloud optical depth (value of the nearest acquisition time of the pixel)
- Cloud coverage of the pixel (percentage from 0 to 100, value of the nearest acquisition time of the pixel)
- Cloud type (value of the nearest acquisition time of the pixel) -1=no value 0=no clouds 5=low-level cloud 6=medium-level cloud 7=high-level cloud 8=thin cloud
- GHI no corr. Global irradiation without bias correction on horizontal plane at ground level [Wh/m2]
- BHI no corr. Beam irradiation without bias correction on horizontal plane at ground level [Wh/m2]
- DHI no corr. Diffuse irradiation without bias correction on horizontal plane at ground level [Wh/m2]
- BNI no corr. Beam irradiation without bias correction on mobile plane following the sun at normal incidence [Wh/m2]
Routines to read CAMS radiation service output CSV files in Python ( zip compressed).
|Carry out your own quality assessment of this resource by using the "Irradiation Validation Report" Web interface =>|
The automatic access to CAMS radiation service is FOR FREE and limited restricted to registered users. The email address you used for your registration is needed to be able to launch the command line. The number of requests is also limited to 40 per day.
|2018-06||v3.2 (current)||We fixed a mathematical bug in the (latitude, longitude) position of the pixels of the Meteosat satellite images.|
|2018-03||v3.1||CAMS McClear benefits from the successive enhancements of the Aerosol Optical Depth versions. McClear version, and consequently CAMS radiation service version as well, have been incremented from 3.0 to 3.1 in order to take into account official period of AOD availability. Results are slightly modified in October 2012 and September-November 2015.|
|2015-10||v2.7||Call to McClear v2.7|
|2015-07||v2.6||Bug fixed in verbose edition|
|2015-02||v2.6|| Bug fixed in the filling of MACC AOD databases |
New re-calculated databases put online
|2015-01||v2.6|| Bug fixed bug for cloud coverage > 100% |
Add a verbose edition for the one minute requests
Edition format file version 2
|2014-11||v2.5||APOLLO data coverage extension: 2004-02-01 to D-2|
|2014-11||v2.4||Call to McClear v2.4|
|2014-08||v2.3||Call to McClear v2.3 Bug fixed in APOLLO data interpolation|
|v2.2||do not exist (synchronization with McClear versions)|
|2014-07||v2.1||Bug fixed for the shift of one pixel in APOLLO files import|
|2013-07||v2.0||Edition format file version 1|
For more information on these versions and intermediate improvements, please read the corresponding release notes.